These paper lanterns are a great way to practice fine manipulative skills and to express creativity. The extent to which children cut or fold depends upon their stage of development. Remember that a child learns by practicing, so it’s more important for them to have a go and follow the process rather than creating a perfect end result.
- Fold an A4 sheet of coloured paper/card in half length ways.
- Cut into the folded edge to make strips, but stop about 2cm from the far edge. Cut the strips about 1 1/2cm wide. Unfold the paper.
- Glue the two shorter edges together to make a tube shape.
- Cut a strip of paper about 1cm wide and 10cm long and glue to the top edge to make a handle.
- Decorate with paint and glitter.